بودكاست التاريخ

جامعة رايس

جامعة رايس

تعد جامعة رايس ، ومقرها هيوستن ، تكساس ، واحدة من الجامعات البحثية الرائدة في الولايات المتحدة ، وكانت أول جامعة في العالم تنشئ قسمًا لعلوم الفضاء. يقع مركز جونسون للفضاء التابع لوكالة ناسا على الأرض التي تبرعت بها الجامعة. جامعة رايس هي أيضًا عضو في مركز تكساس الطبي ، أكبر منشأة طبية في العالم. تم تشكيل جامعة رايس من معهد صممه مواطن ثري يدعى ويليام مارش رايس. في عام 1891 ، قام مع أصدقائه ومحاميه بتأسيس معهد ويليام مارش رايس لتقدم الأدب والعلوم والفنون ، ومع ذلك ، كان من المقرر إنشاء المعهد بعد وفاته. بعد وفاته في عام 1900 ، وبعض العقبات القانونية ، بدأ العمل لإنشاء المعهد. تلقى معهد رايس هبة قدرها 4.6 مليون دولار من ملكية ويليام رايس ، في عام 1904. إدغار أوديل لوفيت ، عالم رياضيات وفلك مؤهل تأهيلا عاليا من جامعة برينستون ، تم تعيينه كرئيس. من أجل إنشاء مؤسسة بأعلى المعايير ، زارت لوفيت 78 مؤسسة للتعليم العالي تقع في مختلف البلدان. أصبح هذا المعهد فيما بعد جامعة وليام مارش رايس في عام 1960 ، واليوم ، تحتل جامعة رايس حرمًا جامعيًا بمساحة 285 فدانًا ، وتضم 70 مبنى رئيسيًا. يشمل الحرم الجامعي كليات الهندسة المعمارية ، والهندسة ، والعلوم الإنسانية ، والعلوم الطبيعية ، والعلوم الاجتماعية ، والموسيقى ، بالإضافة إلى ذلك ، يتميز الحرم الجامعي بأحدث مختبرات العلوم والهندسة ، ومعهد لخدمات الكمبيوتر ، ومعهد للفنون ، ومختبر للأبحاث النووية ، تضم مكتبة الجامعة ، مكتبة Fondren ، أكثر من مليوني كتاب ، وثلاثة ملايين صورة دقيقة ، و 16000 مسلسل ودورية حالية ، وما يقرب من ربع طلاب جامعة رايس هم من العلماء المتميزين الوطنيين. احتلت الجامعة المرتبة الأولى بالنسبة لنسبة الطلاب الحاصلين على زمالات العلوم الوطنية ، وتفتخر الجامعة بوقف قدره 3 مليارات دولار ، وهي واحدة من أفضل خمس جامعات في العالم. بالمناسبة ، لم يكن للجامعة أي رسوم دراسية حتى عام 1965. وقد احتلت جامعة رايس المرتبة الأولى بين 1600 جامعة خاصة لـ "أفضل قيمة جامعية" في Kiplinger's تمويل شخصي والأول من أجل "أقل مبلغ للدين لكل خريج" أخبار الولايات المتحدة والتقرير العالميتعتبر جامعة رايس جامعة بحثية رائدة ، وتضم العديد من معاهد البحوث متعددة التخصصات في الحرم الجامعي. وهي تشمل معهد رايس الكم ، ومعهد تصميم وتطوير هندسة الأرز ، ومعهد الكمبيوتر وتكنولوجيا المعلومات ، ومركز علوم وتكنولوجيا النانو ، ومركز تكنولوجيا النانو البيولوجية والبيئية. في عام 1996 ، فاز الأستاذان ريتشارد سمولي وروبرت كورل من جامعة رايس بجائزة نوبل في الكيمياء لاكتشاف وتطبيق جزيئات الكربون 60 (Buckminsterfullerenes). حاليًا ، يتم تنفيذ العديد من الأعمال البحثية الرائدة في مجال تكنولوجيا النانو الجديدة الساخنة.


جامعة رايس - التاريخ

أولا التاريخ

إلى حد ملحوظ ، تم تشكيل جامعة رايس من خلال نوايا مؤسسيها - ويليام مارش رايس ومجموعة صغيرة من الرجال الذين جاءوا لمشاركة خططه لمؤسسة للتعليم العالي. في ربيع عام 1891 ، قررت رايس ، وهي من مواليد ماساتشوستس وازدهرت كتاجر في هيوستن منتصف القرن التاسع عشر ، منح معهد لتقدم الأدب والعلوم والفن لتعليم الرجال والنساء البيض في هيوستن. هيوستن وتكساس. باستثناء هذا الاستبعاد الواضح للطلاب المنحدرين من أصل أفريقي ، استلهمت رايس من أمثلة ستيفن جيرارد من فيلادلفيا وبيتر كوبر من مدينة نيويورك لإنشاء معهد ، يحمل اسمه ، من شأنه إجراء البحوث وتوفير التعليم بدون رسوم دراسية في جو غير حزبي وغير طائفي. أنشأ مجلسًا من سبعة أمناء للإشراف على بناء وإدارة معهده بعد وفاته. ولكن عندما قُتل في عام 1900 ، استغرق الأمر من مجلس أمنائه ، بقيادة الكابتن جيمس بيكر ، سنوات للتغلب على التحديات التي واجهتها إرادة رايس ، وتأمين هبه (في البداية ، 4.6 مليون دولار) ، والتأكد من أن معهده قد بدأ بشكل صحيح . بحلول أواخر عام 1907 ، أكمل الكابتن بيكر ورفاقه الأمناء دراسة جامعات أخرى واختاروا إدغار أوديل لوفيت ، عالم رياضيات متعلم كلاسيكيًا كان رئيسًا لعلم الفلك في جامعة برينستون ، ليكون أول رئيس لمعهد ويليام مارش رايس.

قام الرئيس لوفيت ، بدعم من الأمناء ، بتنقيح طابع المعهد الجديد تدريجياً. بدأ بالبدء في جولة لمدة تسعة أشهر لجامعات رائدة في أوروبا وآسيا للتفكير في التعليم العالي وتجنيد علماء متميزين لرايس. عاد ليخطط لجامعة لا توفر فقط تعليمًا ممتازًا للطلاب الجامعيين - تعليم يتضمن معايير أكاديمية عالية ونظام كلية سكنية وقانون شرف - ولكن أيضًا إجراء بحث متقدم وتدريب عدد صغير من طلاب الدكتوراه . كانت هذه تطلعات نبيلة ومكلفة. على الرغم من أن الهبة قد نمت بشكل كبير منذ عام 1904 ، إلا أن لوفيت كان يعلم أنه لا يستطيع في الحال الحصول على الجامعة الشاملة التي تصورها. لذلك كان عليه أن يؤكد في البداية على العلوم والهندسة فقط. بحلول سبتمبر 1912 ، عندما اجتمع تسعة وخمسون طالبًا للصفوف في الحرم الجامعي الجديد - على امتداد مسطح من البراري خارج شوارع هيوستن - كان لدى رايس أربعة مبانٍ وهيئة تدريس دولية ذات امتياز ملحوظ ، وهي كلية ضمت جوليان هكسلي حصل على درجة الدكتوراه من جامعة أكسفورد في علم الأحياء ، وهارولد أ. ويلسون من جامعة كامبريدج في الفيزياء ، وجريفيث سي إيفانز من جامعة هارفارد في الرياضيات.

على الرغم من نمو رايس بسرعة لما يقرب من عقدين من الزمن بعد عام 1912 ، إلا أن نقص الأموال خلال فترة الكساد أدى إلى تقليص النفقات وأبقى رايس كلية إقليمية صغيرة ركزت على العلوم والهندسة حتى الحرب العالمية الثانية. بعد ذلك ، تمكن القادة الجدد ذوو الموارد الأكبر من بدء ما يقرب من ثلاثة عقود من النمو المستدام ، واقتربوا بحلول عام 1970 من الجامعة الأفضل توازنًا التي تصورها الرئيس لوفيت في عام 1912. بفضل الدخل من حقول النفط المكتسبة في عام 1942 وبدعم من مجلس طموح من الأمناء ، خلفاء لوفيت ، ويليام في هيوستن وكينيث س. بيتزر ، تمكنوا من زيادة حجم هيئة التدريس (من 58 في عام 1938 إلى 350 في عام 1970) ، وتجنيد العديد من العلماء البارزين (مع رواتب أعلى ، وبعد عام 1962 ، تم تعيينهم. التعيينات) ، وإنشاء أقسام أكاديمية جديدة ، وإنشاء مجموعة متنوعة من المباني ليس فقط للفصول الدراسية والمختبرات ولكن أيضًا لنظام الكلية السكنية الذي بدأ أخيرًا في عام 1957. هذه التغييرات جعلت من الممكن لرايس - جامعة رايس من 1960 - إلى قبول المزيد من الطلاب ، وتوسيع مناهجها ، والتركيز بشكل أكبر على برامج البحث والدراسات العليا. ولكن للحفاظ على التغييرات - لتصبح قادرة على المنافسة كجامعة وطنية - سعت رايس إلى تغييرات في ميثاقها الذي سمح لها منذ عام 1966 بفرض رسوم دراسية متواضعة نسبيًا وقبول الطلاب الأمريكيين من أصل أفريقي (كانت رايس قد اعترفت سابقًا كطلاب "بيض" في أجناس أخرى وأصول وطنية).

ومع ذلك ، عندما أصبح نورمان هاكرمان رئيسًا في عام 1970 ، كانت البرامج الجديدة تستنفد موارد رايس إلى أقصى حدودها. وازن هاكرمان ميزانياته ، وأعاد تنظيم رايس في سبع مدارس (الإدارة ، والعمارة ، والهندسة ، والعلوم الإنسانية ، والموسيقى ، والعلوم الطبيعية ، والعلوم الاجتماعية) ، وساعد في زيادة المنح من 131 إلى 680 مليون دولار بحلول عام 1985. خلفاؤه ، جورج روب ومالكولم جيليس ، كان قادرًا على متابعة المزيد من الخطط الطموحة لتعزيز رايس: الدورات الأساسية للطلاب الجامعيين ، والمزيد من أعضاء هيئة التدريس لدعم البحث متعدد التخصصات (من خلال المعاهد والمراكز) ، وبرامج الدراسات العليا الإضافية ، وسبعة مبانٍ جديدة بين عامي 1985 و 1997. بحلول منتصف عام 1997. التسعينيات ، أصبحت رايس جامعة تضم أكثر من 4000 طالب و 450 عضو هيئة تدريس بدوام كامل ، وكان خريجوها وأعضاء هيئة التدريس فيها يميزون أنفسهم في مجموعة متنوعة من المجالات (منذ عام 1978 ، حصلوا على جوائز نوبل في الفيزياء والكيمياء وجائزة بوليتسر في الخيال. ). لكن رايس ظلت كما تصورها مؤسسوها: جامعة صغيرة نسبيًا وبأسعار معقولة تسعى إلى التميز في التعليم الجامعي ، وفي البحث العلمي ، وفي عدد محدود من برامج الدراسات العليا.

في ظل الرئيس الحالي لرايس ، ديفيد ليبرون ، شهدت الجامعة نموًا بنسبة 30 في المائة في الالتحاق بالجامعة ، وزادت مكانتها الدولية ، ووسعت مشروعها البحثي ، وعمقت مشاركتها مع هيوستن. تم تحويل حرم جامعة رايس مع كليتين سكنيتين جديدتين ، ومبنى جديد للفيزياء ، ومركز ترفيهي جديد ، و BioScience Research Collaborative ، وبرنامج الفنون العامة ، من بين تحسينات أخرى. تعكس هذه التطورات الأولويات التي تم التعبير عنها في رؤية القرن الثاني ، والتي انبثقت عن اجتماعات واسعة النطاق على غرار قاعة المدينة مع أعضاء هيئة التدريس خلال السنة الأولى للرئيس ليبرون في رايس.

لمزيد من التفاصيل حول تاريخ جامعة رايس والهندسة المعمارية ، راجع John Boles's جامعة مصممة على هذا النحو: تاريخ موجز للأرز وجيمس مورهيد جولة على الأقدام في جامعة رايس. كل من هذه الكتب متاح في مكتبة جامعة رايس.


جامعة رايس - التاريخ

قسم التاريخ

يجب على الطلاب الذين يحبون التاريخ والذين يريدون حرية استكشاف الماضي على نطاق واسع التفكير في التخصص في التاريخ.

مجالات أبحاث الأستاذ المشارك: جنوب آسيا ، وشرق العالم الإسلامي ، والتاريخ الإسلامي المبكر ، والشرق الأوسط العثماني

أستاذ جورج ونانسي روب في مجالات أبحاث العلوم الإنسانية: التاريخ الفكري الصيني الحديث ، والنظرية النسوية ، والجنس والعلوم الاجتماعية

كاثرين تسانوف براون أستاذة في مجالات أبحاث العلوم الإنسانية: السياسة الخارجية للولايات المتحدة ، والتاريخ السياسي للولايات المتحدة ، والتاريخ البيئي ، والحقوق المدنية

مجالات أبحاث الأستاذ المشارك: العالم الأطلسي ، الشتات الأفريقي ، الأمريكيون من أصل أفريقي

Samuel G. McCann - أستاذ مجالات البحث في التاريخ: ألمانيا الحديثة ، وأوروبا الحديثة ، والسياسة ، والقانون والفكر الاجتماعي ، والاقتصاد السياسي والفكر ، والتاريخ الفكري الأوروبي الحديث

عميد العلوم الإنسانية ، أستاذ التاريخ أندرو دبليو ميلون

باربرا كيركلاند تشيليز أستاذة مجالات أبحاث التاريخ: الولايات المتحدة والعالم ، الشرق الأوسط ، التحديث والتنمية ، الولايات المتحدة الحديثة

Samuel W. & amp Goldye Marian Spain أستاذ مشارك مجالات البحث: فرنسا الحديثة وأوروبا الحديثة وحقوق الإنسان ودراسات الهجرة

مجالات أبحاث الأستاذ المشارك: أوائل إفريقيا ، إفريقيا الأطلسية ، إفريقيا الحديثة ، الشتات الأفريقي ، العبودية وإلغاء العبودية

ويليام ب. هوبي أستاذ محرر التاريخ الأمريكي ، مجلة مناطق أبحاث التاريخ الجنوبي: التاريخ الجنوبي والتاريخ الاقتصادي والتاريخ البيئي للولايات المتحدة

أستاذ مشارك مدير برنامج دراسات العصور الوسطى والحديثة المبكرة المجالات البحثية: أوروبا في العصور الوسطى ، إيبيريا في العصور الوسطى ، الأراضي الحدودية في العصور الوسطى

مجالات أبحاث الأستاذ المساعد: العلوم الإنسانية الطبية ، تكنولوجيا علوم شرق آسيا ودراسات المجتمع (STS) ، تاريخ الطب ، تاريخ العلوم

أستاذ مشارك أستاذ مشارك مساعد في مجالات أبحاث الاقتصاد: تاريخ المكسيك وأمريكا اللاتينية ، وتاريخ الاقتصاد ، وتاريخ الصحة العامة

William Gaines Twyman أستاذ مجالات أبحاث التاريخ: اليونان القديمة وروما ، العصور القديمة المتأخرة والبيزنطة المبكرة

أستاذة مؤسسة التربية العربية الأمريكية في مجالات أبحاث الدراسات العربية: التاريخ العربي الحديث ، العلاقات الأمريكية العربية ، التاريخ العثماني ، الطائفية.

رئيس القسم ماري جيبس ​​جونز أستاذ العلوم الإنسانية أستاذ مجالات أبحاث التاريخ: الولايات المتحدة في القرن التاسع عشر ، العبودية والتحرر ، عصر الحرب الأهلية الأمريكية ، النشاط عبر الأطلسي وإلغاء العبودية ، التاريخ الاجتماعي والثقافي والفكري ، التاريخ عبر الوطني

هاريس ماسترسون الابن ، أستاذ مجالات البحوث التاريخية: ريو دي جانيرو ، البرازيل المستعمرة ، العالم الأطلسي

مجالات بحث الأستاذ المشارك: تكنولوجيا الكمبيوتر ، استخدام التكنولوجيا ، الإعاقة ، الحقوق المدنية

أستاذ مشارك - مدير مشارك - مجالات السياسة والقانون والفكر الاجتماعي: أوروبا الحديثة المبكرة ، والتاريخ الفكري والثقافي ، والفكر السياسي والديني ، وتاريخ التعليم

جوزيف وجوانا نازرو مولن أستاذ العلوم الإنسانية مدير مجالات أبحاث الدراسات الجامعية: التاريخ والثقافة الإسلامية ، القرنين السابع والخامس عشر تاريخ الحفاظ على الهندسة المعمارية في الشرق الأوسط يهود بلاد الإسلام ، القاهرة جنيزة

مجالات أبحاث رئيس البروفيسور دنليفي العائلية: الولايات المتحدة والعالم ، تاريخ العلاقات الدولية الحديثة ، الاقتصاد السياسي الدولي ، عالم المحيط الهادئ ، التاريخ العالمي للرياضة

البروفيسور أندرو دبليو ميلون أستاذ متميز في مجالات أبحاث العلوم الإنسانية: التاريخ الأمريكي المبكر ، تاريخ المحيط الأطلسي ، تاريخ الجنوب ، تاريخ العرق والعبودية ، تاريخ الأمريكيين الأصليين

مجالات أبحاث الأستاذ المشارك: التاريخ القانوني ، وتاريخ العمل ، وتاريخ الرأسمالية ، وتاريخ أمريكا اللاتينية ، والتاريخ المكسيكي ، والحدود ، وتاريخ الهجرة

مجالات أبحاث الأستاذ المشارك: العبودية ، والعبودية ، والتحرر ، والشتات العالمي للحقوق المدنية ، وحقوق الإنسان والقانون الدولي والمرأة ، والجنس ، والجنس

مجالات أبحاث الأستاذ جون أنتوني وير: ألمانيا الحديثة ، المرأة الأوروبية والجنس ، حقوق الإنسان ، الاستعمار الحديث

مجالات أبحاث الأستاذ المشارك: تاريخ الهنود الأمريكيين ، تاريخ الأمريكيين من أصل أفريقي ، تاريخ الجنوب

رئيس كلية بيكر لتاريخ العلوم والتكنولوجيا ومجالات أبحاث الابتكار: التاريخ الأوروبي من 1450-1815 ، التاريخ الفكري الأوروبي من الثورة العلمية إلى الثورة الفرنسية ، المثالية الألمانية والرومانسية ، تاريخ العلوم ، كوبرنيكوس إلى داروين


جامعة رايس

جامعة رايس ، جامعة خاصة ومستقلة ومختلطة في هيوستن ، افتتحت في عام 1912 باسم معهد ويليام مارش رايس. استأجرها التاجر السابق في هيوستن ويليام مارش رايس في عام 1891 بعملة تحمل فائدة بقيمة 200000 دولار تُدفع إلى معهد رايس عند وفاته. بعد ذلك ، قدمت رايس هدايا أخرى للمعهد ، وكلها مستحقة الدفع بعد وفاته. ومع ذلك ، عندما توفي في عام 1900 في مدينة نيويورك ، وجهت وصيته الخاضعة للإثبات أن تذهب ثروته إلى محاميه. بعد تحقيق مكثف ومحاكمة مثيرة ، تقرر أن خادم رايس ، بالاتحاد مع المحامي ، قام بتشكيل الكلوروفورم لرايس حتى الموت من أجل الحصول على إرادة مزورة. عندما تمت تسوية التركة في عام 1904 ، تم منح المعهد ما يقرب من 3 ملايين دولار كصندوق رأسمالي منفصل يضاف إلى الوقف الأصلي ، والذي نما إلى ما يقرب من 3.3 مليون دولار. في الوقت الذي افتتحت فيه الجامعة في عام 1912 ، بلغ الهبة حوالي 9 ملايين دولار ، وهو مبلغ مكّن جميع الطلاب من الالتحاق بالجامعة دون دفع رسوم دراسية - وهو امتياز لم ينته حتى عام 1965. وقد نص الميثاق الأصلي بشكل عام على مؤسسة "مخصصة لتقدم الأدب والعلم والفن ". قرر مجلس الأمناء في هيوستن أنها ستكون جامعة وفي عام 1907 عين عالم الرياضيات والفلك إدغار أوديل لوفيت من جامعة برينستون كرئيس مع توجيهات لتخطيط المؤسسة الجديدة. بعد السفر والمناقشة وتعيين أعضاء هيئة التدريس في جميع أنحاء العالم ، أشرف لوفيت على الافتتاح في عام 1912 ، والذي تميز بحضور دولي مفصل للعلماء. منذ البداية ، قصد لوفيت أن تكون رايس جامعة "من الدرجة الأولى" ، وعلى الرغم من عدة عقود من الصرامة المالية التي أعقبت أوائل عشرينيات القرن الماضي ، سعت المؤسسة جاهدة للحفاظ على هذه الرؤية. كان لدى الطلاب الذين دخلوا الفصل المكون من سبعة وسبعين طالبًا هيئة تدريس دولية من عشرة (جوليان هكسلي ، على سبيل المثال ، كان أول أستاذ في علم الأحياء ، وكان هارولد ويلسون من مختبر كافنديش في كامبريدج أستاذًا للفيزياء) ومبنيين أكاديميين رئيسيين (مع خطة مفصلة للمباني الإضافية) من قبل شركة الهندسة المعمارية الشهيرة في بوسطن كرام وجودهيو وفيرغسون. ال دراس، وهي صحيفة طلابية مستقلة ، بدأت في عام 1916 ، وفي نفس العام تم تبني قانون الشرف ، وهو تقليد رايس عزيز ، من قبل الهيئة الطلابية. بحلول عام 1924 ، اقتصر عدد الطلاب الجدد على حوالي 450 طالبًا ، وتم التحكم في الالتحاق بالجامعة بعناية منذ ذلك الحين. في عام 1987 كان حوالي 2600. نما التحاق الخريجين تدريجيًا إلى حوالي 1300.

تحت إشراف لوفيت ، طور معهد رايس أولاً قوة كبيرة في العلوم والهندسة ، على الرغم من تقديم تعليم متميز منذ البداية في العلوم الإنسانية والهندسة المعمارية. اتسعت المناهج الدراسية ، وازداد حجم الكلية بشكل كبير بعد الحرب العالمية الثانية تحت إدارة (1946-60) الفيزيائي ويليام في هيوستن ، كما تم تغيير الاسم في عام 1960 إلى جامعة رايس. تم تشييد عدد من المباني الجديدة في فترتين من النمو ، أواخر الأربعينيات وأواخر الخمسينيات. تم توسيع عمل الخريجين ، الحاضر منذ البداية. في عام 1987 ، تم تقديم درجات علمية متقدمة في أكثر من ثلاثين مجالًا. دفعت الضرورات الأخلاقية والاجتماعية والاقتصادية الجامعة بنجاح إلى السعي للحصول على سلطة قانونية في عام 1964 لكسر ميثاق المؤسس من ناحيتين: الإذن بقبول الطلاب دون اعتبار للعرق وفرض رسوم دراسية متواضعة. جاء التوسع الإضافي ، لا سيما في العلوم الإنسانية والاجتماعية ، في الستينيات والسبعينيات من القرن الماضي أثناء إدارة الكيميائيين كينيث س. بيتزر (1961-1968) ونورمان هاكرمان (1970–85). في عام 1961 ، حددت الإدارة الوطنية للملاحة الجوية والفضاء مركز رحلات الفضاء المأهولة (الآن مركز ليندون جونسون للفضاء) على الأرض التي أتاحتها رايس ، وفي عام 1962 أنشأت الجامعة أول قسم في البلاد لعلوم الفضاء. ال مجلة تاريخ الجنوب تم نشره في رايس منذ عام 1959 دراسات في الأدب الإنجليزي تأسست في رايس عام 1961 و أوراق جيفرسون ديفيس يقع المقر الرئيسي للمشروع في رايس منذ عام 1963. في يوليو 1985 دراسات جامعة رايس (سابقا كتيب معهد الأرز، التي بدأت في عام 1915) أصبحت مطبعة جامعة رايس. تمت إضافة مدرسة Shepherd للموسيقى وكلية Jesse H. Jones للدراسات العليا للإدارة في عامي 1973 و 1976 على التوالي.

في يوليو 1985 ، أصبح عالم اللاهوت جورج إي. روب من مدرسة اللاهوت بجامعة هارفارد خامس رئيس لرايس. عندما تولى إدارة الجامعة ، بلغ عدد أعضاء هيئة التدريس حوالي 420 ، مع أقل بقليل من 4000 طالب. يحتوي الحرم الجامعي على أربعين مبنى متناسق معمارياً مجمعة في رباعي الزوايا تحت أشجار بلوط حية رشيقة في حرم جامعي مساحته 300 فدان في قلب هيوستن. بلغ الهبة في عام 1987 أكثر من 750 مليون دولار ، وهي الأكبر من أي جامعة خاصة في الجنوب. تعد هيئة الطلاب الجامعيين الصغيرة من بين أكثر الطلاب اختيارًا في البلاد ، حيث يبلغ متوسط ​​درجات SAT أكثر من 1300 وواحد من أعلى النسب المئوية للفائزين بالمنح الدراسية الوطنية. إن هيئة الطلاب ، التي كانت في الغالب من تكساس ، هي الآن في الغالب من خارج تكساس ، وتتيح الرسوم الدراسية المنخفضة نسبيًا وجود مجموعة متنوعة من الطلاب اقتصاديًا ، لكن أكثر ما يشكل شخصية رايس هو الموهبة الأكاديمية غير العادية لطلابها. ومن المفارقات تقريبًا أن رايس ، بملعبها الذي يتسع لـ 73000 مقعدًا ، استمرت كعضو مستأجر في مؤتمر الجنوب الغربي حتى انتهى هذا الاتحاد الرياضي. لا يُسمح للأخويات أو الجمعيات النسائية بأن يتم تعيين جميع الطلاب الجامعيين في واحدة من ثماني كليات سكنية (تم إنشاء النظام في عام 1957) تدور الحياة الطلابية حول أنشطتها الترفيهية والثقافية والتعليمية والحكومية. في عام 1993 ، أصبح مالكولم جيليس ، الاقتصادي والعميد من جامعة ديوك ، الرئيس السادس.

تمتلك جامعة رايس مجموعة متنوعة من مرافق البحث والمختبرات. تحتوي مكتبة Fondren على أكثر من 1.3 مليون مجلد و 1.6 مليون صورة مصغرة وتشترك في ما يقرب من 11000 عنوان تسلسلي. وهي جهة إيداع لوثائق وبراءات اختراع حكومة الولايات المتحدة ، وهي إحدى الجامعات التابعة لبيانات التعداد. توجد الكتب النادرة والمخطوطات وأرشيف الجامعة في مركز أبحاث وودسون بالمكتبة. المكتبة قوية بشكل خاص في مواد تكساس ، والبصمات الكونفدرالية ، والدراما الإنجليزية في القرن الثامن عشر ، وتحتوي على أوراق ومكتبة السير جوليان هكسلي. مجموعتان علميتان رئيسيتان هما مجموعة أندرسون حول تاريخ الملاحة الجوية ومحفوظات تاريخ مركز جونسون للفضاء. مرفق الحوسبة المركزية بالجامعة هو معهد خدمات وتطبيقات الكمبيوتر. هناك عدد من مرافق الحوسبة الأخرى الموجودة في أماكن أخرى عبر الحرم الجامعي. يرتبط رايس أيضًا بمركز أبحاث منطقة هيوستن ، وهو اتحاد مدعوم من رايس وجامعة تكساس وجامعة تكساس إيه آند إم وجامعة هيوستن. يوجد عدد من المعاهد والمراكز البحثية متعددة التخصصات في حرم رايس ، بما في ذلك معهد رايس كوانتوم ، ومعهد تصميم وتطوير هندسة الأرز ، ومعهد تكنولوجيا المعلومات والحاسوب. يشارك مركز رايس للتصميم والأبحاث المجتمعية ، الموجود خارج الحرم الجامعي ، في التخطيط الحضري. يقدم مكتب الدراسات المستمرة مجموعة متنوعة من دورات الإثراء غير الائتمانية والدورات الفنية القصيرة لآلاف سكان هيوستن سنويًا. في عام 1990 ، استضافت رايس المؤتمر الاقتصادي السنوي لمجموعة الدول السبع للولايات المتحدة وكندا واليابان ودول أوروبا الغربية. كان هدف رايس هو الجمع بين التركيز التدريسي لكلية الفنون الحرة مع منحة جامعة بحثية. في عام 1991 ، تم تصنيف رايس في المرتبة الأولى بين أفضل 100 مدرسة في البلاد على أنها "أفضل شراء" في مجال التعليم. كان لدى جامعة رايس 462 من أعضاء هيئة التدريس و 4268 طالبًا للفصل الدراسي 1992-93 و 723 في الدورة الصيفية لعام 1992.


جامعة رايس - التاريخ

دعوة جون أونيل إلى رايس: ربيع 1965

في ربيع عام 1965، تلقيت ، في مكتبي بكلية الفنون بجامعة أوكلاهوما في نورمان ، مكالمة هاتفية من إلينور إيفانز ، وهي معلمة وصلت مؤخرًا إلى قسم الهندسة المعمارية بجامعة رايس. إلينور ، من التصميم البصري الأساسي ، فنانة حاصلة على درجة الماجستير من جامعة ييل حيث درست مع جوزيف ألبرز ، كانت تتصل لتخبرني أن رايس تريد إنشاء قسم للفنون الجميلة كجزء من مجال العلوم الإنسانية ، وقد طُلب منها ذلك ترشيح فنان أو مؤرخ فني ليكون رئيس مجلس الإدارة. هل سأكون مهتمًا؟

بعد أن أكملت للتو أربعة عشر عامًا كأستاذ ثابت ومدير كلية الفنون في نورمان ، وهي مدرسة بها هيئة تدريس مكونة من أربعة عشر عامًا ، وبرنامج دراسات عليا يرجع تاريخه إلى عام 1934 ، ومائتي تخصص فني ، ومتحف فني محترم ، كان اهتمامي بالتغيير هو خفيف. ومع ذلك ، فقد أرسلت مذكرة إلى فيليب وادزورث ، عميد العلوم الإنسانية في رايس ، طلبًا للحصول على معلومات. تبع ذلك تبادل للرسائل ، ثم مكالمة هاتفية من وادزورث يطلب مني القدوم إلى هيوستن لمقابلة العديد من أعضاء كلية الهندسة المعمارية وآخرين من التخصصات ذات الصلة. كان الاجتماع منخفضًا ، وأجرى الجزء الأكبر منه بعد الغداء في نادي أعضاء هيئة التدريس في كوهين هاوس. كانت هناك صعوبة في العثور على غرفة لإقامتي في هيوستن ، حيث كانت الاحتفالات المصاحبة لافتتاح Astrodome قيد التنفيذ. لقد حصلت على غرفة في فندق Holcombe Street حيث فشل مكيف الهواء على الفور ، لذلك كان تقييمي لهيوستن في هذه المرحلة منخفضًا جدًا.

الرحلة الأولى إلى رايس

خلال الزيارة ، وجدت أنه كان هناك بعض التعليمات الفنية في حرم رايس في السنوات الماضية ، كل ذلك داخل قسم الهندسة المعمارية: جيمس شيلمان جونيور ، المدير المتقاعد لمتحف الفنون الجميلة ، هيوستن ، وكاثرين تسانوف براون ، خريج رايس وكورنيل ، قام بتدريس عدد قليل من الدورات التدريبية الأساسية في تاريخ الفن كما فعل جاسبر روز ، الزائر من إنجلترا الذي حجز موعدًا لمدة عام في رايس. غادر جاسبر عام 1965 ليقبل موعدًا لهيئة التدريس بجامعة كاليفورنيا في سانتا كروز ، ولكن ليس قبل أن يفاجئ حرم رايس بارتداء الزي الأكاديمي في فصوله الدراسية. بمجرد أن يتجول في الساحة الرباعية مرتديًا رداءه النابض بالحياة والمتدفق ، التقى بالرئيس آنذاك ، كينيث بيتزر ، الذي سأله عن المناسبة الاحتفالية. أجاب جاسبر ، "أوه ، أنا أتظاهر بأن هذه جامعة!"

قام جاسبر أيضًا بتدريس دورة الرسم في رايس ، وفي نهاية العام الدراسي 1964 ، نظم أول معرض لطلاب الفنون على الإطلاق. في منطقة الاستوديو ، كان لديه أيضًا زميل ، ديفيد بارسونز ، الذي أوصى به جيمي تشيلمان ، المدير الفخري لمتحف الفنون الجميلة في هيوستن ، لتدريس بداية الرسم والنحت لطلاب الهندسة المعمارية.

إذا لم يكن جاسبر روز يفكر بشدة في رايس كجامعة ، فربما يكون ذلك بسبب أنها تغيرت إلى هذا التصنيف فقط في عام 1962 ، بعد أن كانت في السابق معهد رايس. تجذر المفهوم الجديد ببطء. بدا الاهتمام في الحرم الجامعي بتأسيس قسم للفنون الجميلة (أطلق عليه لاحقًا الاسم الأكثر دقة: الفن وتاريخ الفن) غير متحمس. كان بعض أعضاء هيئة التدريس الأكبر سناً معاديين في الواقع. ومع ذلك ، فقد بُذلت جهود لإيجاد مساحة مناسبة لإيواء القسم ، مؤقتًا على الأقل. كان قيد النظر هو الطابق السفلي من مبنى الخدمات الغذائية (وهي فكرة تم التخلي عنها في النهاية: روائح الطهي مدمجة مع رائحة الطلاء الزيتي!) تم فحص إيجار أو شراء منزل على أطراف الحرم الجامعي ، وكذلك إنشاء هيكل فولاذي مؤقت. تم اتخاذ الخيار الأخير لموقع في ظل ملعب المضمار: كان هذا لخدمة دورات الاستوديو. في تاريخ الفن ، تم بالفعل الإعلان عن منصب وقبله ويليام كين.

جولة في الحرم الجامعي

خلال جولتي في الحرم الجامعي ، وجدت غرف المحاضرات وغرف الاستوديو ، وكلها تقع في قاعة أندرسون ، فوضوية: سقوط أثاث قديم ، وأحيانًا مكسور ، ونفايات ، وورق محشو ، ولوحات طلابية مهجورة. بدا حرم رايس بأكمله معاديًا للبصر بشكل عدواني تقريبًا. تحمل برونزية جاك ليبشيتز لجيرترود شتاين ، التي تظهر بشكل سيئ في مكتبة فوندرين ، عبء العمل الفني الوحيد في هذا الجيب الأكاديمي. عدت إلى أوكلاهوما مدركًا أنه على الرغم من تمتع رايس بسمعة طيبة في العلوم والهندسة ، فإن أي تمييز في الفن سيكون صعبًا.

عرض التعيين كأستاذ ورئيس قسم الفنون الجميلة

بعد فترة وجيزة من عودتي إلى نورمان ، كانت هناك مكالمة هاتفية ، تلتها رسالة من دين وادزورث: عرض علي موعدًا كأستاذ ورئيس قسم الفنون الجميلة. لقد تأخرت في اتخاذ القرار حتى أتمكن من مناقشة العرض مع عميد بلدي ، الدكتور دونالد كلارك. اعتقدت أن رايس بحاجة إلى المساعدة التي شعرت أنها مؤهلة لتقديمها ، وتم وضع خطة لي لأخذ إجازة لمدة عام من أوكلاهوما والذهاب إلى رايس كزائرة ورئيس بالنيابة ، وترك هذه المناصب عندما تم حث الدائرة على الوجود . وافقت رايس على الخطة.

وصوله كأول رئيس لقسم الفنون الجميلة

في فصل الخريف من عام 1965 ، ظهر قسم الفنون الجميلة وتمت الموافقة على منهج رئيسي. كان طاقم التدريس هو كاثرين براون وديفيد بارسونز وويليام كين وجيمس تشيلمان وأنا. هذه المكاتب الإدارية الثلاثة القاتمة نوعًا ما ، أحدها به نافذة واثنان بدونه ، تم تخصيصه لنا في الطابق السفلي من مكتبة Fondren. بدأت دورات الاستوديو في الرسم والتلوين في مبنى فولاذي مؤقت يقع فيما ثبت أنه مستنقع. قرر أحد الطلاب الشجعان ، بول فايفر جونيور ، المخاطرة بأن يصبح تخصصًا في الفن.

بدء البحث عن أعضاء هيئة التدريس

بدأ البحث عن مدرب استوديو يعمل بدوام كامل ، بالإضافة إلى بديل لبيل كين ، الذي استقال من رعبه من ظروف العمل البدائية ، وفقر الموارد ، والرطوبة ، والمناخ الحار ، والفيضانات في ذلك العام التي دفعت طالبًا واحدًا لدبلجة مستنقع ويليام رايس في الحرم الجامعي. أصبحت الأحذية والمظلات ومعاطف المطر أدوات ضرورية للطلاب.

Applications arrived for both the art history and studio positions. We invited portfolios of their work from fourteen artists, and narrowed the art history search to Martha Caldwell, who was eventually appointed. During the search, a new wing for Fondren Library was under construction. During the spring semester of 1966, a violent storm sent fourteen inches of water into our basement offices, inundating and ruining work in the artists’ portfolios—we had little furniture and storage space at the time the floor served as a convenient table. Slides and books belonging to Kane, Brown, and Chillman were also water soaked. When the waters subsided, we also discovered that a group of Henry Miller watercolors, given to us just a week before by the architecture department, had been washed bone clean.

Insurance covered the losses, but paying claims spread over an entire year. All the studio applicants had to be informed, and asked to state the value of their destroyed work—some, it seemed, hadn’t sold much and thought the event to be a personal bonanza!

Professor Havens Joins the Department of Fine Arts

When something resembling normalcy appeared, Neil Havens, the director of Rice Players, came in to inform us that the English Department was releasing him so that he could join the Fine Arts faculty.

The Department's First Move

President Pitzer, taking on our recent soggy state, said we would be moved to the second floor of Allen Center, the business office, as soon as that building was complete. I asked for the space there to include a departmental art gallery, together with a small budget to purchase works of art to form a teaching collection both requests were approved.

The Second Annual Student Art Exhibition

The second annual art students’ exhibition was staged at the Rice Memorial Center (RMC) it seemed to signal a change in the visual atmosphere of the campus. However, at the end of the spring 1966 semester, the department was still struggling to develop I therefore petitioned Oklahoma for a one-year extension of my leave, since I couldn’t face leaving so many loose ends at Rice. This, too, was approved.

Arrival to Allen Center

In the fall of 1967, we moved to new quarters in Allen Center a set of small offices, but the gallery was a clean, luminous space. The initial exhibition was attended by Houston notables, including Oveta Culp Hobby. Six exhibitions were staged for the first season, including those of the California painter John Tomas, ink drawings by Dorothy Hood (one of which, later stolen, had been given to the department by Meredith Long) photography by Geoff Winningham selected form his masters’ exhibition at the School of Design in Chicago, and concluding with the third annual student show, which caused some campus ripples. Jim Simmons, head of Buildings and Grounds, objected fiercely to an overflow of student work being shown in the halls of Allen Center, which forced us to stay within the gallery limits.

Department Faculty

The contract for Martha Caldwell was not renewed we searched for a replacement. Earl Staley, a recent MFA graduate of the University of Arkansas, was appointed to teach printmaking and drawing, the printmaking equipment having already been purchased. The slide collection was begun with Juwil Topazio as curator. In the past, only large class lantern slides in black-and-white were used for lectures. Winningham, then teaching at the University of St. Thomas, was employed to photograph the glass slides and reduce them to a 35mm format.

A decision had to be made about my pending return to Oklahoma. Dr. Pitzer was very persuasive in encouraging me to remain permanently at Rice, and after a difficult time of indecision, I agreed to do so. He had assured me that future building plans included a new structure to house Art and Architecture. Such a plan was actually drawn, but rejected because of the then excessive cost of seven million dollars. An alternative, but temporary, space for Art was then included in the planning of Sewall Hall, a gift of Blanche Sewall. At this stage, Dr. Pitzer was offered the presidency of Stanford University, which he accepted. Fine Arts was thus abandoned to its fate by a powerful friend.

Although I found Rice University a sterile, even bleak environment, Houston itself showed stirrings of a vigorous cultural life: The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, under James Johnson Sweeney staged superb exhibitions in the grand space of Cullinan Hall the University of St. Thomas history of art program and its extraordinary fine exhibitions directed by Dominique de Menil with the support of her husband John gave a unique and blazing life to the intellectual and cultural milieu. Rice could only dream of achieving a parallel art order. There was also the courageous Contemporary Arts Museum, housed in a small building on the Prudential Insurance grounds. Sebastian “Lefty” Adler arrived in 1966 to direct it in a series of spirited exhibitions. The Houston Symphony, the Houston Grand Opera, and the Alley Theater were well established and supported. Commercial galleries such as Kiko and Louisiana & Bute were appearing. There was a very heady feeling in Houston that almost anything of worth in the arts could be accomplished, and with enthusiasm.

Art in the Department of Fine Arts

A few gifts to the department appeared, the first from the estate of the portrait painter Tamera de Kuffner, mostly decorative objects—furniture, silverware, and crystal—that went to enhance Cohen House interior.

In 1967-68, the departmental gallery began its second season. Sometime that year, there were rumors that the de Menils were dissatisfied with certain aspects of their role at the University of St. Thomas. Shortly thereafter, Dean Tapazio came to me with the startling news that John and Dominique de Menil had proposed that the entire spectrum of art activity at St. Thomas be shifted to Rice University, a wedding without precedent. The shift would include the group of four art historians, as well as the art library, the slide collection and curator, the exhibition program with its technical staff, the photography and film program (designated not very happily “media”) with two instructors, plus generous funds to fuel the various activities. We were enthusiastic, but some Rice administrators observed that the de Menils “had a poor track record” in educational support and that the proposed merger was “unprecedented,” as indeed it was.

Jean and Dominique de Menil Arrive on Campus

Thus began months of negotiation, sometimes on campus, but frequently at the de Menil residence on San Felipe, at dinner parties, at the faculty club, and at the then Criterion Club. There were many sticking points: there was no room at Rice for such a large group of people with attendant equipment, Sewall Hall, with one portion planned to house a small art department and a departmental gallery, would be inadequate. Many of the de Menil proposals were extraordinary: at one point John de Menil asked me to go to the president and ask him to stop the Sewall Hall construction, a structure which at that time was rising above ground! The request was, of course, refused by me, but John nonetheless offered to erect another building, a true art center, to be designed by a distinguished architect. For the immediate solution, however, he wanted to build a temporary structure, brick faced, to be situated near Fondren Library. The Board rejected this because the architectural style was in conflict with the Rice tradition. The longer-term plan was then followed, and a de Menil invitation to Louis Kahn, brought back a second time by Rice, produced a few preliminary sketches by him. A short time later, Kahn, dead of a heart attack in New York, brought a great dream to an end.

To help solve the space problem, we decided to close the gallery temporarily in order to create office space for the St. Thomas group, and the de Menils finally decided to build two temporary structures, of neutral design, at a point distant from the main campus. One in time was referred to as The Barn, which housed exhibitions, work space, and some studio space next door, but not quite a clone, was the Media Center. Dominique de Menil, who had been art chair at St. Thomas, became at Rice the director of the Institute for the Arts, created especially for her.

A frenzy of activity ensued. Moved to the Rice campus were art historians William Camfield, Mino Badner, Philip Oliver-Smith, and Walter Widrig. Juwil Topazio graciously resigned her slide curator post which was then given to Pat Toomey. John de Menil wanted Gerald O’Grady and Geoff Winningham to teach in the Media program, but strong objections by the Rice English faculty blocked the appointment of O’Grady, a Chaucerian scholar who had been given three teaching awards at Rice, but had been denied tenure for reasons unclear. O’Grady did not go down to defeat quietly. After one of several conferences with Dean Topazio, he was described as being “a windmill of words.” I had enrolled in a film course at St. Thomas with O’Grady and thought him an unusually fine instructor, the flow of language put to good use.

1969 was a year of upheaval on campus, as on other campuses. A new president to replace Pitzer, Dr. William H. Masterson—a former Rice faculty member—faced a protest to the appointment by a united student and faculty group. Masterson sensibly decided to forfeit the appointment. National protests also against the war in Vietnam resulted here in a brief occupation by students of Allen Center.

Earl Staley’s appointment at the termination of his three-year contract was not renewed. Earl had been hired as a printmaker, but decided he wanted to teach painting instead, and since he was a young artist without many credentials, the department decided to look for a replacement. Before his departure, I had asked Earl to have a solo show on campus—this was before the gallery opened. The exhibition was staged in the Hamman Hall lobby the work was vigorous and somewhat erotic, and accompanied the Rice Players presentation of Edward Albee’s Tiny Alice. A poster commemorated both events.

The Institute for the Arts

The Institute for the Arts held its first exhibition, a marvelous one titled, “The Machine,” co-sponsored by the Museum of Modern Art. Shortly thereafter, the Media Center (actually part of the Fine Arts Department) began giving courses in film with James Blue as instructor. In order to inaugurate the center, John de Menil had proposed that a new film by Andy Warhol be previewed by the faculty, students, administrators, and staff in the Grand Hall of the Rice Memorial Center. This was done. The film was “Lonesome Cowboys,” which in the atmosphere of 1969 might have been considered titillating. Warhol and attendant “family” members, Ultra Violent and others, paraded in front of the audience before the film began. The following day, several members of the administration called on me in my office. The usual reaction to the film event ranged from dislike to distaste. These opinions also applied to the notion of any art activity at all on campus, expressed in such questions as “Mr. O’Neil, just what do you have in mind for the future of the Fine Arts Department?” My answer to that was: “A vital and vigorous creative and scholarly discipline, open to the examination of all ideas in the visual arts, and the study and interpretation of the history of art.” The then dean of the graduate area, however, rather stubbornly insisted that “art doesn’t belong at Rice because student accomplishment cannot be accurately graded.” (!)

Dominique de Menil, Dan Tapazio, and myself were appointed as a trio to make decisions about how that future of the arts could be realized. At my request, Dominique and I met in order to prepare a budget proposal for the coming year, and then submit it to Tapazio. Dominique seemed genuinely surprised when I asked her to put together a budget for the Institute for the Arts major exhibition program. She replied, “we always just pay for whatever expenses there are.” I realized then that the future, at least for several years, was going to be a wild ride.

Plans for a Move to New Facilities in Sewall Hall

Plans for Sewall Hall had to be revised in order to make room for the increased number of faculty and staff. Space needed to be found for the arriving Art Library and the de Menil teaching collection. Even though a small, but pleasant, departmental gallery was provided, together with an adjacent loading dock, storage areas, and both a freight elevator and a passenger elevator, none of the dozens of people who pored over the blue-prints ever realized that there was no connection above ground between the two wings of the building, nor was this critical fact mentioned by the architects. Thus the Fine Arts area, with the exception of sculpture and gallery, emerged elevatorless.

Rice Media Center

The Rice University Media Center, an integral part of the arts at Rice University, was founded in 1969 by international art patrons Jean and Dominique de Menil, with scholar Gerald O'Grady as a consultant. The founders' intent was, essentially, that the Rice Media Center building provide a channel through which different peoples of the world could communicate. The legendary vision of the de Menil family was fulfilled by the creation of the Rice Media Center building, the Department of Art and Art History and Institute for the Arts which today exists as the Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts , Department of Art History and the Rice Cinema Program.


The Rice Media Center and the Institute of the Arts buildings were designed by Houston architect Eugene Aubrey who, at the time, was partnered with architect Howard Barnstone (Barnstone and Aubrey). During the early design stages, Rice scholar Gerald O'Grady met and consulted with Aubrey on the design of the Rice Media Center building. The de Menil's vision for the center was to use the media of film and photography and art as an educational tool in both research and teaching, and to unite different branches of education. The official opening of the Media Center was held in February 1970. Andy Warhol, during a visit that same year, planted a tree with Dominique de Menil's assistance in front of the Institute for the Arts. The Institute building is now the Glasscock School of Continuing Studies and the Rice Media Center building is now occupied by the Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts. Both buildings and the Warhol tree remain on the Rice Campus to this day, another tremendous gift to the City of Houston and University, from the de Menils.

Film at the Rice Media Center--the Early Years

The ideas surrounding the creation of a space like the Rice Media Center attracted filmmakers who were interested in observational cinema, or cinéma vérité, (the Direct Cinema movement) which is an important impetus to the development of Visual Anthropology today. Among those who engaged the Rice community were Colin Young, then Dean of Arts at UCLA, and renowned filmmaker and director of the Italian School, Roberto Rossellini, along with Frantizek Daniel, renowned director of the Prauge Film School, who each visited the Media Center to conduct meetings and workshops periodically in order to engage and introduce students, faculty and community to this new wave of filmmaking.

In 1970-1971 David MacDougall, who had studied under Colin Young, came to Rice as an ethnographic filmmaker from UCLA. Additionally, the de Menils also brought a young documentary filmmaker to Houston to co-direct the center, Academy Award nominee James Blue. Blue and MacDougal encouraged students of all disciplines to see themselves as filmmakers, and they brought a regular flow of visiting directors to campus. Under the co-directorship of Blue and MacDougall, along with Menil support, the Rice Media Center received federal grants to purchase 8mm film and editing equipment with the intent for it to be made available to use by the public.

During this period, MacDougall and Blue received a Guggenheim fellowship and a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities to make one of the most well-known ethnographic documentary films entitled Kenya Boran at the Rice Media Center . Both MacDougall and Blue were Co-Directors of the Media Center until 1975 when MacDougal left to become Director of the Film Unit at the Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies .

Teaching and fiscal operations of the Media Center became part of the Art and Art History Department soon after this period. Brian Huberman, Associate Professor, was recruited by James Blue from the National Film and Television School, U.K. in 1975. Together Huberman and Blue taught courses in production and collaboratively and independently produced several documentary films until Blue's departure in the late 1970's. Brian Huberman's film work includes To Put Away the Gods (1983), The Making of John Wayne's THE ALAMO (1992) and most recent film The De la Peña Diary (2003) . Huberman's filmmaking and teaching continues to this day for the Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts.

Photography at Rice Media Center-Early Years

As a part of the strong interest in an observational style, a documentary image -language, Geoff Winningham was recruited by Gerald O'Grady from the University of St. Thomas in 1969, to come to Rice University to teach photography. During the early years of the Rice Media Center opening (1969-70) brought some very important photographers such as Robert Frank, John Szarkowski, Aaron Siskind, Frederick Sommer, and others to the Rice Media Center for a lecture series. The series included an exhibition of over 60 photographs, on loan just for this show from the Museum of Modern Art, New York (where Jean de Menil was a trustee at the time). Over the years, Professor Geoff Winningham has produced several films and authored many books including Friday Night in the Coliseum (1971), Going Texan (1972) and Rites of the Fall (1978) and his most recent book, Along the Forgotten River (2003). He continues his photography work and teaching for the Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts to this day.

Rice Cinema

For more than 35 years , the Rice Cinema has continued to screen films from around the world—foreign features, shorts, documentaries, and animation. Rice Cinema reaches beyond the university's hedges to the diverse communities of Houston. We offer a living alternative to the monolithic commercial cinema of Hollywood and have screened films from every continent. Among the internationally known filmmakers who have appeared on our campus over the years include Werner Herzog, Rakhshan Banietemad, Atom Egoyan, Shirin Neshat, Martin Scorsese, Andy Warhol, George Lucas, Fernando E. Solanas, Albert Maysles and Dennis Hopper.

Rice Cinema works in concert with our academic programs to enrich our students' undergraduate experience. Our film students are provided state-of-the-art screening facilities to examine and study the historical and methodological aspects of movies from around the world in 16, 35, or 70 millimeter with Dolby Digital Sound. Film production students can showcase their work during the academic year on our new silver screen in recently renovated projection facilities.


Come experience art at 24 frames per second at the Rice Cinema. Rice Cinema operates during the academic year screening films almost every weekend. To find out what is playing, call the informational telephone line at 713-348-4853

Rice Cinema: Celebrating Almost 50 Years of Notable Guests

(Excerpts from these passages below have been taken from an article by Lia Unrau of Rice News on 9/14/95)

In the early '70s,' Andy Warhol premiered his violent Lonesome Cowboys to the largest Media Center audience in history. Italian neo-realist director Michelangelo Antonioni, known for Blow Up screened his work, as did Martin Scorcese and Milos Forman. A promising young director named George Lucas showed his original version of THX 1138.

Also in the '70s, The Big Parade director King Vidor, a Galveston native, told students and audiences about the silver screen, and George Stevens (Giant) and Frank Capra (It's a Wonderful Life) passed on insight from their experiences during some 30 years in the business.

Audiences leaned back and looked to the ceiling as two avant-garde experimenters, Ed Emschwiller and Stan Vanderbeek, projected psychedelic images over head it was, after all, the '70s.

The early '80s brought a strange Dennis Hopper. Following his"performance," in which he refused to come out on stage and the audience watched on video monitors as he spoke from behind stage, (witnesses aren't sure what he spoke about), he invited the sell-out crowd to watch as he blew himself up in the Russian Dynamite Death Chair Act.

Sam Peckinpah, well-known for his westerns, like The Wild Bunch, made the last public appearance of his career at Rice. At the time, his films were controversial in terms of violence, but they might seem mild by today's standards.

British director Richard Lester visited campus to reflect about the Beatles during filming of A Hard Day's Night and Help, and ended up running the camera for George Rupp's presidential inauguration in 1985.

In 1987 Isabella Rossellini participated in a retrospective of her father's work. While Roberto Rossellini was at Rice he set to work on a film for television called Science, based on the work of Rice scientists, scheduled to be 10 hours long. Although frames exist, the project was never completed.

In 1991, Spike Lee and his whole family rolled up in a limousine to sneak preview Do the Right Thing. Lee led an emotionally charged discussion with the sell-out crowd following the film.


الستينيات

Rayzor Hall

Rayzor Hall was designed by Staub, Rather & Howze. Named for lawyer, towing company executive and alumnus trustee J. Newton Rayzor '17 and his wife Eugenia Porter Rayzor, the building housed School of Humanities until the Humanities Building was built in 2000. The building now houses the Center for Languages and Intercultural Communication.

Brown College - “The Tower”

With Jones College being the only all women's college on campus, there was a severe housing shortage for Rice women in the 60's. Through the generous donation of George R. Brown and his wife Alice Pratt Brown, a new women's residential college was established in the memory of their sister-in-law, Margarett Root Brown. The original building became known as “The Tower” after Brown College was expanded in 2002.

Rice Health Center (Formerly Brown College Commons)

The original building of the Brown College Commons, located next to the dormitory tower, served as the College’s dining hall for nearly 50 years. However, when Brown College expanded in 2002, a new commons was built and the original commons became the building for the Rice Health Center.

Ryon Engineering Laboratory

Designed by architects Wirtz, Calhoun, Tungate & Jackson, Ryon Engineering Laboratory was built with a gift from Lewis B. Ryon, Jr., professor emeritus of civil engineering, and his wife Mae E. Ryon. When it comes to concrete batching and curing, strength testing, welding and machining, Ryon Lab has been the go-to place for Rice’s civil, environmental and mechanical engineering faculty and students.

Oshman Engineering Design Kitchen (Formerly Hicks Kitchen)

Hicks Kitchen was originally the central food-service kitchen on campus, but then became storage space after North and South Kitchen Serveries were built in 2002. In 2009, Hicks Kitchen was completely renovated with a generous gift from Rice University alumnus and trustee M. Kenneth Oshman ’62 and his wife Barbara to established the Oshman Engineering Design Kitchen (OEDK). The OEDK includes conference rooms, a classroom, a wet lab, rapid prototyping equipment, large-format printers, a designated woodworking area, a machine shop and access to a welding shop, providing engineering students with the space and resources to complete their design projects. The OEDK is the first renovated building on campus to be LEED Gold-Certified.

Space Science and Technology Building

Immediately following former President John F. Kennedy space exploration address in Rice Stadium in 1662, Rice became the first university to establish a space science department. The Space Science and Technology building was built a few years later to house the department.

Allen Center

Designed by architects Lloyd, Morgan & Jones, the Allen Business Center honors Rice donor and governor Herbert Allen and his wife Helen Allen. In 1987, Trustees authorized a 4th-floor expansion. The Allen Business Center houses the President’s Office.

Herman Brown Hall for Mathematical Sciences

Funds by the Brown Foundation and from a National Science Foundation Systems Grant, the Herman Brown Hall for Mathematical Sciences is named for Trustee George R. Brown's elder brother and business partner. Architects George Pierce and Abel B. Pierce designed the building.

Lovett College

Named after Rice's first president, Edgar Odell Lovett College is a six-story residential dorm with distinctive brutalist architecture. The concrete grating that surrounds the third, fourth, and fifth floors is a design feature intended to make Lovett riot-proof in reaction to the student riots of the late 1960’s. This grating now protects Lovett students from hurricanes, allowing the students of Lovett College to remain in their rooms through both Hurricane Rita and the most recent Hurricane Ike.


MOB History and Traditions

The Rice Owl Band was formed by 12 students in 1916 and was built upon interest in band activities and the reading of band literature. The band increased to about 50 members when Lee Chatham became director in 1922. During this period, however, there were few high school bands, and so the main body of membership was supplied through civic or municipal bands and private teachers.


The Rice Band in 1916

Following Mr. Chatham’s retirement in 1938, Mr. Kit Reid became director. During the period of World War II, the supply of band personnel was very unstable, so toward the end of the war, Hugh Saye and Dick Kincheloe formed a band of Navy cadets under the V-12 program. This group was supplemented by civilians from the student body. After the war, the band was reorganized and the first women, four majorettes, were added to the previously all-male organization. Neel Cotton completed the academic year as director following Mr. Reid’s retirement in 1950.

In 1951, Holmes McNeely became director and instituted a building program of both equipment and personnel. Mr. McNeely was the first to offer a number of band scholarships to students involved with the Rice Owl Band. At this time, women musicians were added to the band for the first time. Upon the retirement of Mr. McNeely in 1967, Mr. Bert Roth took charge of the band activities. In the fall of 1968, every qualified member of the Rice Owl Band was given a work scholarship in recognition of their participation.

In 1970, the Rice Owl Band broke with tradition and introduced timely and sometimes controversial topics into their halftime activities. With their tongues firmly planted in their cheeks, the band parodied politics, life at Rice, and other members of the Southwest Conference, using the brains that Rice is famous for, rather than brawn. The band also gradually stopped marching at this time and began the “scattering” that it is now famous for. This type of entertainment proved popular with band members as well as with the student body.


Angry A&M fans after the 1973 show

Dr. Ken Dye took over the director’s job in 1980. By emphasizing musical quality and contemporary show design, the band (now called the Marching Owl Band, or MOB) was able to entertain a larger audience. His first year marked the beginning of the jazz ensemble and the granting of credit for the concert band. In 1982, Dye updated the MOB’s uniforms, and the MOB donned their trademark gray felt fedoras for the very first time.


Ken Dye with the MOB

Dr. Dye’s tenure at Rice saw MOBsters perform at the Opening Ceremonies of the 1984 Olympics, the 1985 Presidential Inauguration, the 1986 Statue of Liberty Celebration and U.S. Olympic Festival, and the 1993 Carnivale in Nice, France. Dr. Dye believed that travel was an important part of any major college band. During his time as MOB director, the band took trips to places as far afield as Notre Dame and the campuses of all three U.S. Service Academies. The MOB also took shorter trips to SMU, TCU, and Tulane University.

Dr. Dye’s single greatest legacy lies with his tremendous talent for arranging music for bands. During his time at Rice, he arranged literally hundreds of tunes for the MOB to perform. Our music library overflows with his first-class arrangements of many rock, jazz, and blues standards. When it comes to playing great music, the MOB has long been among the best college bands in the country — a tradition that it will uphold for years to come.

In spring 1995, Willy’s Pub and the MOB Bandhall were destroyed in a fire that gutted much of the Rice Memorial Center. Luckily enough, however, the MOB was already planning a move to the newly-refurbished basement of the Campus Central Kitchen Building (now the OEDK). Although a new band hall was in place, the MOB had to rebuild from nearly zero — new instruments, equipment, office supplies, computers, and uniforms all had to be bought in the summer of 1995 in time for the 1995-96 season.


Evolution of MOB uniforms

In 1997, Dr. Dye left Rice to rebuild the band program at the State University of West Georgia, a position he held for only one year before moving on to a directorship at Notre Dame University in the fall of 1998. Mr. Sean Williams was hired in the summer of 1997 to serve the MOB and the Rice Band Department as interim director until a permanent replacement for Dye could be found. That replacement was Dr. Robert Cesario, who came to us in the fall of 1998 from Tulsa, OK. After four years, Dr. Cesario resigned from the position of Director of Rice Bands in the summer of 2002.

The MOB is currently under the leadership of Mr. Chuck Throckmorton, who has been with us since 2002.


Chuck at a 2017 rehearsal

In spring 2017, the MOB moved into its new band hall on the south end of the football stadium, leaving its old shared location in a gym in the back of Tudor behind. The hall was officially named the John “Grungy” Gladu Band Hall in fall 2017.

School music

Rice’s Honor
“Rice’s Honor” was adapted from the “Our Director March” in the 1922, with lyrics by Ben H. Mitchell 󈧜. It served as Rice’s unofficial alma mater for 40 years before being officially established as such in the 1960s as such.

All for Rice’s honor, we will fight on.
We will be fighting when the day is done.
And when the dawn comes breaking,
We’ll be fighting on, Rice, for the Gray and Blue.
We will be loyal, to Rice be true.

Fight Song
The Rice Fight Song was written by Louis Girard 󈧭 and Harry Girard and premiered in 1940. Although originally intended to replace “Rice’s Honor” as the school’s alma mater, it was much more popular among students as a fight song, leaving “Rice’s Honor” in the role of alma mater.

Fight for Rice, Rice fight on,
Loyal sons arise.
The Blue and Gray for Rice today
Comes breaking through the skies.
Fight, fight, fight!
Stand and cheer, Vict’ry’s near,
Sammy leads the way.
Onward go! to crush the foe,
We’ll fight for Blue and Gray.

Bonnet
Bonnet was written in the 󈨀s by Harvin C. Moore 󈧟 and Barry Moore 󈨂 to the 1909 tune “Put on Your Old Grey Bonnet” and became a popular tune at football games.
30-second Bonnet is the tune compressed into 30 seconds and is performed at basketball games.

Louie Louie
“Louie Louie” is the MOB’s personal fight song/theme song based on the 1963 Kingsmen hit. The MOB first performed it in a show against TCU in 1981, and now plays it at every football game.

News and Upcoming Events:


To limit how many people are using the band hall at a time, please check the band hall availability calendar before using the band hall.


10 Fun Facts about Rice University

1. Nearly half of all Rice students are from out of state.

2. The wall at the entrance of Rice’s architecture building is known as the Frog Wall for the croaking frog noises it makes if you run your fingers over the holes.

3. All students are required to finish two P.E. type classes of Lifetime Physical Activity Program, or LPAP, before graduation.

Browse Successful Application Files

New Posts

In this second part of his two-part series, college admissions coach Justin Taylor explains key admissions lessons from 2020, an unprecedented year of firsts, that can help you strategize as we enter into this next application.

In Part one of this two-part series, college admissions coach Justin Taylor explains key lessons about 2020, “a year like no other,” that could seriously boost your chances in 2021, including smarter list building and transcript GPA.

We are so excited to announce that for this year’s scholarship, we selected five scholarship winners to maximize the impact of our $5,000 college scholarship prize money.

For students who can knock their college essays out of the park, the pandemic presents a unique writing opportunity (but not as an essay topic).

The recent killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery, among so many others in the Black community who have been robbed of their lives over the years by the brutal and fatal use.


Facts about Rice University 1: level of research

The research activity in Rice University is very high. In 2011, the research earned the funding of $115.3 million from the sponsor.

Facts about Rice University 2: the applied science programs

Applied science is the main program in Rice University. It covers a number of fields such as signal processing, artificial heart research, nanotechnology, space science, and structural chemical analysis.

Facts about Rice University


Rice University - History

The Rice NROTC Unit was officially inaugurated in September 1941, making it the second NROTC Unit formed in Texas. The first Commanding Officer was CAPT Dallas D. Dupre, a World War I veteran who had graduated from the Naval Academy in 1915.

The unit building was newly made and prepared for the first class of midshipmen when the program began in 1941, with 110 spots available for freshmen and sophomore students at Rice to apply for. The program continued to expand, and only a year later, in 1942, had 198 midshipmen. The unit was heavily involved with the rice community on campus. Initially created in addition to the ROTC Program was the Navy Club, which was meant to increase camaraderie and instill the good ideals of the navy into midshipmen. Members also created the Navy Orchestra, which played at events around campus. The unit midshipmen also ran a publication called the Rice Broadside, which included news from the company, as well as thoughts about current events, such as the excerpt below, from an issue during WW2. Midshipmen also found uses for the physical demands of the navy - many of the Marine options were members of the Rice football team as well. In 1943, Rice University was selected to participate in the V-12 Commissioning Program for World War II with an initial input of 530 students. In February 1944, the unit commissioned its first class of graduates in all, 80 men were commissioned as officers in the U.S. Navy or Marine Corps. By July 1946, the V-12 Program had ended and the unit shrunk to 32 students. Today, the unit consists of cross-town affiliates at Texas Southern University, the University of Houston, and Houston Baptist University. It has commissioned over 900 officers into the Navy and Marine Corps since the end of World War II.

The Prairie View A&M University Unit was established in March 1968 and was the first NROTC unit established at a Historically Black College or University. In May 1970, the first class of 13 midshipmen were commissioned into the Navy and Marine Corps. By 1979, the unit had commissioned over 100 officers into the naval service. In August 1992, the Prairie View A&M University Unit joined with the Rice University Unit to form the NROTC Houston Consortium. To date, the unit has commissioned over 400 officers into the Navy and Marine Corps.

List of site sources >>>


شاهد الفيديو: Rice lab makes pristine graphene in a flash (ديسمبر 2021).